Welcome to Quidi Vidi Brewery!
As Newfoundland & Labradors largest craft brewery we pride ourselves on over 25 years of brewing.
We try to demonstrate passion, ambition & dedication to our beer and our people. Our values are important to us.
Working with Quidi Vidi Brewery encourages your best. We are committed to the continuous development of our employees. You will grow as the craft brewing industry grows.
Exceptional beer. Passionate people. In an extraordinary place. If this excites you, then working with Quidi Vidi Brewery is the right choice for you.
About the Role
Reporting to the Manager Quality Assurance (QA), Safety and Sustainability, the QA Technician monitors and verifies quality throughout the manufacturing process, conducting testing and inspections to ensure product meets / complies with quality standards.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Assess quality of the product throughout all stages of production, packaging and storage.
- Conduct ongoing testing including dissolved oxygen, carbonation and foam testing.
- Conduct ongoing microbiology testing (HLP and plating) to ensure contaminant free product.
- Perform instrument maintenance and calibration.
- Perform yeast viability counts and calculate accurate pitch rates.
- Generate and analyze fermentation curves to verify yeast health.
- Organize and facilitate sensory panels, go / no go approval process and off-flavour training.
- Monitor quality trends, identifying potential issues and conducting root cause analysis as required to effectively resolve.
- Maintain QA reports and enter results into company ERP.
- Provide employees with guidance and direction as required to ensure / reinforce adherence to quality standards and specifications, interfacing with local management as required.
- Work independently and as part of the team, cooperating and coordinating with other employees to complete tasks in an effective and efficient manner.
- Follow all SOP / Standard Operating Procedures to ensure highest product quality and consistency.
- Complete all work in a safe and efficient manner, adhering to safety procedures, processes and protocols.
- Ongoing identification of opportunities for improvement in processes, procedures, workflow and efficiencies.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications: Required Skills and Abilities
- Passion for craft beer
- A demonstrated commitment to quality
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Is self-directed and has a mature and professional approach to work
- Results oriented
- Proven decision-making and leadership capabilities
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Analytical mindset with the ability to conduct effective root cause analysis
- Well-developed troubleshooting skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Able to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Takes initiative
- Demonstrates job commitment, accountability and reliability
- Works effectively in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Demonstrates both a results-oriented and safety-oriented mindset
- The willingness and ability to embrace change
- Fosters a team-oriented environment / atmosphere within and across departments / groups in working towards company goals and objectives
- Adept at working with individual employees and teams to identify and address Opportunities for improvement in a collaborative and supportive manner
- Develops productive working relationships with employees at all levels
- A commitment to demonstrate our core values
- A continuous learner
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences / Food or post-secondary diploma in Science related technical discipline
- Minimum 1 year experience in a QA role, implementing and / or maintaining quality management systems, preferably in a beverage manufacturing industry
- Demonstrated commitment to and focus on continuous improvement
- Strong understanding of GMP, HACCP, and CFIA regulations
- Food Safety Training considered an asset
- Previous experience working in a laboratory environment and operating lab and testing equipment
- Experience working in the Brewing industry an asset
- Background in Lean Manufacturing a plus
- Proficient in MS Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel), eMail, etc
- Experience using an ERP considered an asset
Work Environment, Conditions and Required Physical Capabilities
- Job requires manual dexterity, attention to detail and hand-eye co-ordination
- Walking and standing for extended periods including bending, twisting, crouching and kneeling at times
- Regular lifting of up to 25 kg. Occasional team lifting of 25+ kg.
- Cold, wet / damp, hot environment at times
- Ambient industrial noise
- Brewing-related odours
- Able to work in a flexible environment where daily tasks may change based on brewing and processing schedule changes / requirements
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Gloves, hearing and eye protection, as well as High Visibility Safety Apparel / HVSA (i.e. vest) -(provided)
- Steel-toe footwear -(allowance available)
- Typically Monday to Friday, 8-hour shifts ranging from 7 am to 5 pm
- Occasional evening or weekend work will be required.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Secondary School (required)
Ability to Commute:
- St. John's, NL A1A 1G8 (required)
Ability to Relocate:
- St. John's, NL A1A 1G8: Relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person