House Person / Janitorial Maintenance
Part Time Position 0 - 25 hours per week
Clean and inspect public areas to ensure hotel cleanliness standards are met.
- Inspect all public areas to ensure cleanliness standards have been met; report any problem areas to supervisor.
- Assist room attendant with heavy items such as mattresses and soiled linens. Deliver linens and necessary supplies to room attendants and soiled linens to laundry.
- Shampoo carpets, strip and wax floors throughout the hotel.
- Clean designated areas such as lobby, public rest-rooms, and public areas and back of house areas on hotel property.
- Collect trash throughout the hotel including room attendants’ carts, vending and room service areas, offices and rest rooms.
- Respond to guest requests such as delivery of housekeeping supplies (e.g. linens, roll-a-ways, etc.) in a timely and efficient manner.
- Respond quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Set up and tear down of meeting rooms and function space
- Security checks on three buildings
- Provide a professional image at all times through appearance and dress.
Ø Follow company policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoot and perform minor repairs, sound system and audio visual setup, etc (considered an asset)
- Troubleshoot and perform minor repairs on heating, Cooling, and ventilation Systems. Etc. PTAC units; (considered an asset)
- Paint repair drywall, Hang vinyl wall covering, install vinyl flooring & ceramic tiles (considered an asset)
- Troubleshoot and perform minor repairs on Plumbing systems
- Operate small hand & power tools/ electrical equipment OTHER DUTIES:**
Note: Other duties as assigned by supervisor or management
Health and Safety:
- Follow safe work procedures as outlined in Departmental Policy and Procedures manuals, including the use of personal protective equipment.
- Know and comply with all Occupational Health & Safety regulations, as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Labor.
- Report all injuries or illnesses to a supervisor or manager immediately.
- Participate in Joint Health and Safety Committee by bringing health and safety concerns or issues to the attention of the committee.
Internal: Maintenance Department: To request repairs
Laundry: To deliver and receive linens.
Room Attendant: To deliver and receive linens.
Food and beverage dept.
External: Hotel Guest: To provide service.
- Basic reading, writing and math skills.
- Previous Maintenance experience would be an asset;
- Must have good problem solving, and decision making skills
Certification and/or License Requirement:
Valid driver’s license is required
Code of conduct
Attention to detail
Will be required to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Will be required to work in fast paced environment often multi tasking.
Will be required to work with common household chemicals.
May be asked to work overtime.
Physical/ Cognitive Activities:
- Since assisting room attendants and cleaning public areas are the major responsibilities of this position, House persons spend a significant portion of their workday involved with the following: carrying, lifting, pushing and pulling.
- Communication skills are necessary some of the time when responding to a guest request.
- In addition to frequently operating a vacuum cleaner, House persons may often operate a carpet shampooing machine, a floor buffing machine and a wet vac as well as other cleaning machines.
- House persons typically lift and/ or carry items as much as 75 pounds and pull and/ or push items weighing as much as 500 pounds.
- The person in this position has some opportunities to utilize problem-solving abilities.
- Reports to: Maintenance Manager
- Job title also known as: Houseman/Maintenance This job description is a general representation of the duties and responsibilities; it may be modified at an individual hotel based upon business necessity.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $17.87 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekends as needed