- Assists maintenance staff/contractors in the maintenance and repair of plumbing, hotel rooms, A/C and heating, ice machines, swimming pool, lighting, kitchen equipment, refrigeration, laundry, emergency generators, switch rooms, etc.
- Ensures all maintenance and repairs are completed on a timely, cost-effective basis and according to specifications.
- Uses necessary materials and tools for repairing equipment and keeps within budgetary guidelines.
- Maintains an ongoing preventative maintenance program for the hotel.
- Responsible for administering and documenting equipment preventative maintenance and guest room preventative maintenance via the GXP system..
- Ensures & practices the safety of the department and the building.
- Responds quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follows up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Provides a professional image at all times through appearance and dress.
- Follows company policies and procedures and is able to effectively communicate them to subordinates.
- Participates in fire drills, and training classes regarding safety, security, department procedures, and service guidelines.
- Ensures the hotel is in compliance with all federal, provincial, and local laws, including Health and Safety, ESA, Human Rights, etc.
- Ensures all fire and safety inspections are completed and any discrepancies are corrected.
Note: Other duties as assigned by supervisor or management
- Health and Safety:
RESPONSIBILITY AND PROCEDURES
Establish and enforce all safety policies and procedures. Ensure that an employee complies with WorkplaceNL and its regulations.
Ensure and use or wear any equipment, protective devices or clothing required under the Health & Safety Program.
Insist on good housekeeping and enforce the “Clean As You Go” practice.
Maintain active involvement in the accomplishment of the accident prevention and reduction objective. Take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of employees
Promptly respond to all work order requests from the Health & Safety Committee or management on a priority basis. Establish a method for flagging Safety/Security work orders.
Knowledge of current evacuation plans for guests and employees.
Knowledge of Emergency plan and fire drills, for each shift. Inspect fire protection systems in accordance with hotel engineering procedures, and manufacturers’ recommendations.
Participate in the Health & Safety Committee and provide technical assistance.
Inspect the property monthly or as often as necessary to insure compliance with Federal and Provincial Health & Safety regulations.
Follow written emergency procedures for fire, power failure, water and gas line ruptures, and severe weather conditions.
Accompany inspectors, insurance representatives, the local fire marshal, or other officials on inspections of the property as required.
Perform annual inspections of all safety equipment conducted. Participate in regular (at least annually) frill drills.
Follow a list of primary contractors used in all phases of original hotel construction (plumber, electrician, etc.), as well as those used for any subsequent renovations or repairs.
Internal: All hotel departments: For maintenance of equipment
External: Vendors: For purchasing and receiving supplies
Education/ Experience: High School diploma or equivalent. Two years college/vocational training in electrical or mechanical engineering or plumbing plus work experience, is preferred. Special consideration will be given to those who exhibit exemplary performance.
Certification and/or License Requirement: Certifications relating to job duties outlined above are encouraged.
Physical/ Cognitive Activities:
This description of physical and mental activities is not intended to describe essential job functions. Rather, its purpose is to give the job applicant a feel for the physical and mental activities of the job to the end that an applicant with a disability can determine whether he or she will be able to do this job either with or without accommodations. The major responsibility in this position is to repair or fix something. This person must understand the technologies required in the work they are directing.
A significant portion of time will be spent moving about the hotel and frequent lifting of up to 75 pounds and carrying of up to 25 pounds may be required.
Reading and writing & computer abilities are utilized in order to document or record all tasks delegated and completed, to order supplies or to read equipment repair manuals.
Mathematical abilities, including basic math, volume, weight and percentages are utilized a portion of the time.
- Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
- Job title also known as: Maintenance Person
- Compensation: as per Collective Agreement.
This job description is a general representation of the duties and responsibilities; it may be modified at an individual hotel based upon business necessity.